I don't really know how to explain myself. I saw Schnittchen's off-the-wall overalls pattern and fell in love. They (quite rightly) did the sample up in a chambray... something chic and understated, to balance out the crazy.
BUT WHO NEEDS BALANCE WHEN YOU CAN HAVE AFRICAN WAX PRINT CIRCLING YOUR REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS LIKE A ROADMAP
It happens on the back, too. But this is the best shot my photographer got of the back. I think she was day drinking.
Highlighted female parts aside, I was actually quite thoughtful in my print placement! One could even say it was INTENTIONAL! This wax print was scored at Metro Textiles. I used both sides of the yardage to get a mirrored balance-- the cotton is so saturated, there's only a slight difference on the reverse side, not enough to tell. One of the things I love about quality wax print! My main goal was to avoid a yellow hole at center front & back, if ya know what I mean. Mission accomplished in that respect.
Phew. I do enjoy a good laugh. And I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this project! Perhaps I should tell you how it came about, eh? You know what my problem is? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TELL A GOOD STORY. Well, I mean, I can, if I really put my mind to it, but 87% of the time, you would think English is my second language. Ruggy will often ask me to explain something, and then glaze over as I murder poorly constructed sentences at a loud, fast pace, finally ending with: ENGLISH. I CAN'T.
I'm the next blogger in Schnittchen's Sewing Around the World tour, and despite my tenuous grasp on the official language of my country, I represent 'Murica! I've sewn up a Schnittchen pattern before (the Eve jacket) and I was so pleased with the outcome and the quality of the design, saying Yes to this invitation was a no-brainer. This pattern was no different--well drafted, with super fun details! I followed the instructions included in the paper pattern (which, to be honest, means I glanced over them and then went full steam ahead. What can I say, I "grew-up-sewing" on Burdastyle instructions).
I didn't find the photo instructions on the website, but I did use the line drawing to visualize the "bodice," which, as you can see, has multiple pieces that get lost in all my print mayhem! I'm going to need to do a colorblocked version of this, for sure. I did run into one hiccup: there's one little line in the drawing, on the front, that shouldn't be there--that teeny horizontal guy I've circled in pink. The actual pattern pieces match up perfectly, no worries there, just ignore that guy if you're sewing this up.
I made two changes to the pattern: left the pocket flaps out, and added a pleat to the side after the whole shebang was finished. I just pinched the fabric in by about an inch and a half at the side seam, folded it towards the back, then blind stitched it down by hand. I love the original wide shape, but giving it a wee bit more shape gives it a wee bit more chance of it being Ruggy friendly.
Because I think you know where my body-con man stands on this jammy.
BUT I LURVE IT.
Thanks for asking me to hop on the train, lovely ladies of Schnittchen!
this raucous romper was made through a collaboration with schnittchen, who provided the pattern and a stipend for fabric.